Marriage and registered partnership

Are you getting married or entering into a registered partnership? We are happy to help you make it an unforgettable day!
You arrange it easily in 2 steps:

  • Contact us by phone to set the date and time. If you choose a luxury ceremony, please contact the venue first.
  • Then complete the online notification. Do so between 1 year and 1 month before your chosen date.
  • Or make an appointment by phone to image call.


In the Netherlands, you can only officially marry or enter into a registered partnership at the municipality. After only a religious ceremony, you are not officially married. Only a service in a church or mosque, for example, is therefore not enough.

Note! Not all countries recognize same-sex marriage or registered partnerships from other countries. The rights of registered partners vary from country to country.


If you have lived in the Netherlands since birth, you do not need to submit any documents. If you do not live in the Netherlands, you will also need other documents. Please contact the civil status department.

You can report your plans as early as 1 year before your wedding day or partner registration. Report it no later than 2 weeks in advance. Do you need to submit documents to the municipality that are from abroad? Then keep in mind that 2 weeks may be too short.

This is how you report that you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership:

  • Contact the municipality where you want to get married or enter into a registered partnership.
  • Contact the municipality of The Hague if you both do not live in the Netherlands.

Do you not live in the Netherlands, but want to marry or partner in the Netherlands? One of you must have Dutch nationality. For more information, visit the website of the municipality of The Hague.
Once we have received your online notification, the registrar will contact you. 

Phone appointment for image calling

You call 045-5605040. Tell them you would like an appointment for a video call. The call can take place from your home or another place you feel comfortable. What do you need and how does it work.
Please have your passport or identity card handy.


Heerlen City Hall 

  • Free: on Mondays at 10 a.m. and 10:20 a.m. Check well in advance to see if your date is still available.
  • € 178.95: basic ceremony Monday through Thursday, including a speech by a babs from the municipality, but without the wedding/partnership booklet.
  • € 274.90: luxury ceremony Monday through Friday with the wedding/partnership booklet .
  • € 170.40: for the performance of a luxury ceremony by a babs of the municipality.

Luxury ceremony at outdoor location

  • € 312.40: Monday through Saturday with the wedding/partnership booklet. 
  • € 357.90: on Sundays and holidays with the wedding/partnership booklet.
  • € 170.40: for the performance of the ceremony by a babs of the municipality.
  • You must add to this the cost of an outdoor venue. They are at your own expense.

Marriage in a special house

  • € 81.30 celebration of a marriage or registration of a partnership in a special house.

Babs for 1 day

  • € 238.55: your chosen person has no experience as a babs and still needs to be explained and sworn in. The cost of a luxury ceremony is added to this.
  • € 131.25: your chosen person is already a sworn babs, for example in another municipality. The cost of a luxury ceremony is added.

Additional costs 

  • €53.65 per witness from the municipality.
  • €36.60 wedding/partnership booklet (sometimes this is already included in the amount above).

Conversion of registered partnership into marriage

  • Conversion takes place at the counter: €51.00.
  • Conversion takes place at another location with a ceremony: see fees above.

Cancel reservation wedding or registered partnership 

  • € 131.25: you have not yet reported the intended marriage or partnership (online).
  • € 262.05: you did report (online) and the date of the ceremony is more than 1 month in the future.
  • The cost of all reserved parts: you did report (online) and the date of ceremony is less than 1 month in the future.
  • Cancel the reservation in writing by email: or by mail. You will receive an invoice of the costs incurred.


The location

  • City Hall: free or basic ceremony.
  • Own chosen location: luxury ceremony. Complete the notice of marriage/registered partnership at a location of your choice (download pdf). Check with the municipality whether you may marry at the location of your choice. The location must meet certain requirements. For example, the location must be safe and accessible.

You arrange the venue reservation yourself. The venue De Twee Gezusters is arranged by the municipality for you.

How many people may attend including bride and groom, witnesses and the wedding officiant?

  • City Hall: 30 (at a free ceremony 12 people) 
  • Hoensbroek Castle: 35
  • Auberge de Rousch: depending on the space reserved. The venue will coordinate with you.
  • Terworm Castle: 50

Please note that sometimes your venue will charge extra fees in addition to the municipality's fees. Check this carefully in advance. These costs are at your own expense. 

The ceremony

The official title of a wedding officiant is Extraordinary registrar (Babs).

  • The municipality's Babs performs the ceremony. A family member, friend or acquaintance may also perform your marriage or registered partnership. Complete the request wedding officiant for 1 day (download PDF).
  • We then appoint the person of your choice as Babs. The condition for this appointment is that the person can provide a VOG (certificate of good conduct). Then the appointment and swearing in by the court will take place.
  • Even if you choose to do this, a Babs from the Municipality of Heerlen will always be present.
  • When you get married, you say yes.
  • A registered partnership allows you to say yes, but it is not required by law. 

The witnesses

  • A minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 witnesses must be present at the ceremony.
  • The witnesses must be of age.

If you get married or enter into a registered partnership, it is automatically in a limited community of property. If you choose a community of property or prenuptial agreement, arrange this with a notary first.

Free wedding

Free weddings are available only on Mondays at 10 a.m. or 10:20 a.m. Please inquire well in advance if your date is still available. The calendar fills up long in advance.


The conditions for getting married or entering into a civil partnership are:

  • You are 18 years of age or older.
  • You are not married to anyone else.
  • You are not in a registered partnership with anyone else.
  • You are not too closely related to your partner. This means that your partner cannot be, for example, your parent, (grand)child, grandparent, (half)sister or (half)brother.
  • You are not under guardianship. If you are under guardianship, you need permission from the trustee or district judge.

The municipality checks whether you may marry or enter into a registered partnership.

Are you marrying as a minor abroad? Then the municipality will not recognize your marriage until you are both 18 years old.